CALL TO ACTION
From the accidental killing of over 85 civilians by U.S. forces on Tuesday; to the regime's imposition of a siege on some 400,000 civilians in Syria's largest city of Aleppo earlier this month; to Russia and the Assad regime's escalating usage of cluster bombs, phosphorous, and napalm on civilians since June -- people of conscience must respond rapidly before such heightened violence becomes the new norm.
SAC in partnership with global activists are calling all people of faith, good conscience, and conviction to pressure their governments to end the sieges and protect civilians by embracing the following 3 principles:
PRINCIPLE 1: REAFFIRMING THE SYRIAN PEOPLES’ RIGHT TO FREEDOM
• Speak truth to power by shattering the silence surrounding the war crimes and crimes against humanity being perpetrated against the Syrian people
• Recognize and celebrate the goals and aspirations of the Syrian people: Freedom, Dignity and Respect.
PRINCIPLE 2: STOPPING AIR ATTACKS ON CIVILIANS
• End aerial bombardments on civilians and civilian infrastructure, including hospitals, schools, and market places, by the Assad Regime and its Russian allies. Work with the international community to pressure Russia and the regime to stop their assaults on civilians and support the establishment of safe zones.
PRINCIPLE 3: DEMANDING IMMEDIATE AND FULL HUMANITARIAN ACCESS
• Enable immediate access, both by ground vehicles and by air, to food, water, and medication to all besieged areas in Syria.
ADVOCACY ACTION PLAN
1. Support: Turn Your Social Media Profile Pictures RED. Use one of the following images
2. Start a twitter storm with the following message:
#SyriaUnderSiege Aleppo is burning Darayya is being exterminated.
Tweet the following international leaders: @johnkerry @AmbassadorPower @BorisJohnson @jeanmarcaryrault @JPN_PMO @POTUS
3. Request meetings with your members of Congress ASAP to ask them to cosponsor H.R. 5732 the “Caesar Syrian Civilian Protection Act of 2016”. This legislation will penalize and pressure the Assad regime and its allies for killing civilians. Go to House.gov to find your representatives. For assistance call us at 202-429-2099.
4. Hold a rally in your city to stand in solidarity with the Syrian people demanding that the international community take action.
These are the first steps in our campaign. More to come soon through activists in your area.