The Syrian American Council commends the U.S. Senate for overwhelmingly passing bipartisan sanctions on Russia and Iran, including for their support of the Assad regime, by a vote of 98-2. With your help through advocacy days and call-in campaigns, the Syrian American Council has been working for months to achieve sanctions against Russia and Iran for their crimes in Syria. Today, the Senate did the right thing.
- Extend sanctions on Iran for its ballistic missile program, support of terrorism and human rights violations, including its support of the Assad regime.
- Require the Trump Administration to submit an assessment to Congress of Iran's support, funding and training of the Assad regime, Hezbollah, and Iranian backed militias in Syria, along with a report on what the administration is doing to counteract these threats.
- Impose terrorism-related sanctions on the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, which has been the main engine supporting the Assad regime, Hezbollah, and its affiliated militias in their assault on the Syrian people.
- Impose sanctions on Iranian-backed entities involved in supporting the Assad regime.
- Impose sanctions on Russian individuals or entities supplying weapons to the Assad regime, including Russian defense and intelligence agencies such as the FSB and GRU.
- Impose new sanctions on Russia’s energy, mining, and banking sectors.
- Require Congressional approval if sanctions on Russia are to be relaxed, suspended or terminated.