As a senior leader, the Executive Director serves as the primary leader, external champion, and internal manager of the organization. The Executive Director oversees day-to-day operations, executes the organizational strategy, and leads the staff and a team of dedicated volunteers. The ideal candidate is a proven leader and a seasoned manager with experience building and growing advocacy and/or mission-based organizations. Other key responsibilities include facilitating the organization’s development and fundraising, while enhancing visibility with the public and communities, increasing membership, providing financial oversight, and cultivating new and existing organizational opportunities and programming.
SAC is committed to growth by building more capacity and bolstering its operational output. The Executive Director will be expected to lead the organization through this transformation. The position reports directly to the President.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Management: Oversees, develops, and leads the organization’s staff in the areas of advocacy, grassroots mobilization, communication, and outreach.
- Responsible for the effective administration of the Syrian American Council’s operations.
- Responsible for coordinating with strategic partners and coalitions, especially among member organizations of the American Coalition for Syria.
- Responsible for hiring and developing staff.
- Ensure job descriptions are developed, regular performance evaluations are held, and that human resource best practices are in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education; assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the overall mission of the organization.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of high performers.
- Promote active participation by the Board, volunteers, and members in all areas of the organization's work.
Board Governance: Works with the Board to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading the Syrian American Council in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Communication: Communicates effectively with external and internal stakeholders, including the community, elected officials, the media, donors, and partners.
- Through marketing and public relations, oversee the plan to develop and publicize the activities of the organization, its programs, and goals externally and internally.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
Finance: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for working with the Board on fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support the Syrian American Council’s mission.
- Work with the staff, Development Director, and the Board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Jointly, with the Development Director, pursue grant opportunities.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the Syrian American Council, to include submission of a proposed annual budget to the Board that reflects the national strategy adopted by the Board.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementing initiatives that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that the Syrian American Council can successfully fulfill its mission in the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of the Syrian American Council’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of the organization, and to identify changes in the community served by the organization.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, and other organizations to help achieve the organization's goals.
- Establish regular community outreach programs and incorporate community feedback into the operational plan of the organization.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in the fields of non-profit management, public relations, or political and grassroots advocacy.
- In-depth understanding of how the US government functions and of effective political advocacy.
- Experience working on the Syrian conflict (political or humanitarian) is a strong asset.
- Strong leadership, quantitative analysis and organizational skills.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work with diverse people and organizations.
- Excellent relationship-building skills with ability to influence others to move toward a common vision or goal.
- High level of organizational and political sophistication, especially as it relates to connecting programs to funding, creatively generating other resources, and building collaborative and strategic partnerships.
- Proven skills and experience in fundraising and/or sales, with the ability to meet revenue goals.
- Knowledge of legal constraints of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofits.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience).
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
Type: Full-time. Some nights or weekends may be required to support key events and/or meetings.
Location: Washington D.C.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Interested applicants should submit the following to [email protected]:
- Cover letter